What to Do If Your Dog Eats Rubber Toy

What to Do If Your Dog Eats Rubber Toy

The article titled "what to do if your dog eats rubber toy" outlines the necessary steps to take if a dog ingests a rubber toy. The vet can provide advice on how to proceed based on the size of the dog and the size of the toy. It is also important to watch the dog for any signs of distress such as vomiting, diarrhea, or difficulty breathing. So, let’s note down all crucial key tips:  

Assess the Situation   

The first thing you should do is assess the situation. If you catch your dog in the act of eating the rubber toy, try to remove it from their mouth immediately. However, if you don't realize what has happened until later, look for signs that your dog has ingested a foreign object, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or difficulty passing stool. These symptoms could indicate that the rubber toy is causing a blockage in your dog's digestive system.

Call Your Vet

If you suspect that your dog has ingested a rubber toy, call your vet right away. They can advise you on what to do next and whether your dog needs to be seen immediately. In some cases, the vet may recommend that you induce vomiting at home, but this should only be done under their guidance. Never attempt to induce vomiting unless directed to do so by a veterinarian.

Monitor Your Dog

While you wait for veterinary advice, it's important to monitor your dog closely. Watch for any changes in behavior or symptoms that could indicate that the rubber toy is causing a problem. Keep your dog calm and prevent them from playing or exercising vigorously until you have received advice from a veterinarian.

Seek Emergency Treatment

If your dog is exhibiting severe symptoms such as choking, difficulty breathing, or extreme lethargy, seek emergency veterinary treatment immediately. These symptoms could indicate a life-threatening blockage in your dog's digestive system, and prompt treatment is essential.

X-Rays and Surgery

If your vet suspects that the rubber toy is causing a blockage in your dog's digestive system, they may recommend X-rays to confirm the location and size of the object. Depending on the size and location of the object, your vet may recommend surgery to remove it. In some cases, the object may pass through the digestive system on its own, but this can take several days and can be dangerous if the object is causing a blockage.

Preventing Future Incidents

To prevent future incidents of your dog eating rubber toys or other foreign objects, it's important to keep a close eye on your dog and their surroundings. Don't leave small objects lying around that your dog could ingest, and supervise your dog during playtime. If your dog is a heavy chewer, provide them with sturdy toys that are less likely to be chewed apart and ingested. 

Why Is Rubber Dangerous for Dogs?    

Rubber can be dangerous for dogs for several reasons. Rubber toys can pose a choking hazard for dogs if they are small enough to be swallowed or if pieces break off during play. These pieces can become lodged in a dog's throat, blocking their airway and leading to serious respiratory problems.

Rubber objects, particularly those made with synthetic rubber or containing chemicals, can be toxic if ingested by dogs. These substances can cause gastrointestinal problems such as vomiting and diarrhea, as well as more serious health issues like liver damage.

Therefore, it is important to supervise your dog during playtime and choose toys made from safe materials, such as durable rubber or natural rubber, which are less likely to break apart and do not contain harmful chemicals.    

Signs of Trouble After Your Dog Eats Rubber      

If your dog has eaten rubber, you should be aware of the following signs of trouble:


If your dog starts vomiting after eating rubber, it could be a sign of an intestinal blockage or an upset stomach.


Diarrhea is another common symptom of a problem after your dog has eaten rubber. It may indicate that your dog's digestive system is not functioning properly.

Abdominal pain:

If your dog is in pain, they may display symptoms such as panting, whining, or restlessness.

Lack of appetite:

A lack of appetite is another common sign that your dog may be experiencing trouble after eating rubber.

Difficulty passing stool:

If your dog is having trouble passing stool, it may indicate that the rubber has caused an obstruction in their digestive system.


So, if had query: what to do if your dog eats a rubber toy then you can get all answers here. It's really important to take action quickly to ensure their safety. Call your vet right away, monitor your dog closely, and seek emergency treatment if necessary. With proper care and attention, you can help your dog stay safe and healthy, and prevent future incidents of ingesting foreign objects.

Back to blog